The area of Kalloni consisting of seven villages, which are Anemotia, Skalohori, Philia, Parakila, Skala Kallonis, Papiana-Kerami-Argiana, Agra, Dafia and Arisvi, is situated in the centre of the island.
At a distance of 4Km through a fantastic landscape we meet the coastal area of Skala Kallonis. It is an organizes port and main tourism resort of the area, with sandy beach, many trees, fish taverns and night clubs. The area of Skala is a significant part of the Kalloni’s Wetland proper for sea sports, fishing and walking.
At the fish taverns the visitor can enjoy the sea’s delicatessen of Kallonis Bay : sardines, shrimps, oysters, products that in the past were flooding the Asia Minor coasts.
We have to mention here that among the local festivities that take place especially during summer, the festivity of sardine during August, with local music, dance, ouzo and fish foods.
The area of Kalloni has been the centre and the “lighthouse” of the orthodoxy and the culture. Its contribution to the determination of the education’ s level, thanks to its Monasteries and to its historic Metropolis, was very important.
It has been reborn many times from its ashes due to the strong will and insistence of the locals. It is Orthodoxy’s and Civilization’s lighthouse because of the historic Monasteries, the Metropolis and the local culture.
At the holy Monastery of Limonos – in the year 1530- we find the first school for clerics and at the holy Monastery of Panayias Myrsiniotissas at the same year the first school for women – unique in Greece. There in the year 1804 the Regional Greek Institute had been established.
No matter where we are on the island, we can go to the Municipality of Kalloni in less than an hour. In the Municipality of Kalloni we will find a big and modern market place with shops that can satisfy everybody’ s needs.The Medical Centre of the north west island is situated in the Municipality of Kalloni. The inhabitants have the possibility to get there a full medical and pharmaceutical care.